Friday, March 6, 2009

How Yoga Taught Me to Accept Change

These are hard times for many people.  The global economic crisis has affected countless people, including myself.  I, like many others right now, am at a crossroads in my life right now.  I feel that this is my chance to make the changes in my life that would make me more in tune with my heart and spiritual calling.  Yoga and meditation has taught me that instead of seeing this as a negative, I can see it as a chance to re-assess my values, and an opportunity for amazing changes in the entire world.  

Some people are very resistant to change, but I believe that periods of change can also be considered periods of metamorphosis.  Just as the butterfly awaits in the dark cocoon until it's ready to fly out, sometimes we have to go through dark periods in our life until we grow and fully develop, at which point we are ready to fly out into the world changed.  Only then can we become who we wanted to be all along.

Also, in difficult times in our lives, sometimes we have to reach out to others and ask for help.  We have to let go of our pride and our ego, and surrender to the direction our hearts are taking us.  On the flip side, hard times also require us to help others - whether by volunteering, providing a shoulder to lean on, thinking of them during meditation, or just by giving someone a deep hug that energizes them.  I know my yoga practice was a way for me to reach out and ask for help during difficult times in my life, and I am so happy I did!

"Yoga" is sometimes defined as "to unite" and right now more than ever, we need to unite, and set our intentions to those less fortunate than us.  No matter what else changes, I am grateful for my health, my amazing family and friends, and the beautiful world I live in.   

What are you grateful for?  Send positive energy to these aspects of your life during your yoga practice.  

Namaste.    

 

No comments: