Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mind Over Matter



While I was in Bali, I met a man who climbed the Mount Ugung volcano (about 20,000 feet) anywhere from 2-5 times a week. He would guide tourists up the mountain at night, carrying all the necessary supplies for a midnight hike, and he knows the hiking paths by heart. While hiking up the mountain, when we were near the top, I almost backed out. I told him I was too scared of heights to go any further. He simply said "Mind over matter. Man is stronger than rock, there's no reason to be afraid of the mountain. Just think about positive things."

Half an hour later, I was at the top of the mountain, eating breakfast and coffee with my friends and an amazing view in the background. Little did he know how powerful and meaningful these words would be for me.

That day on the mountain, I learned that my thoughts can truly liberate me from my own limiting fears. Sometimes the only thing stopping us is our own negativity, our own fears, and our own anxieties. Much of the time, we create unnecessary boundaries for ourselves in our friendships, careers, relationships, and our lives out of fear.

I have found that this can also be true in yoga practice. Sometimes a pose will look difficult or will be displeasing to me, and I will not put in the effort to overcome the limitations I set for myself. Just by setting my intention to do a pose that I find particularly difficult, I have been able to overcome these limitations. This has taught me that I can also overcome fears in other areas of my life by setting my intentions to do so. What a powerful thought!

Say no to fear, and say yes to life!

Namaste.

No comments: